Ancestral Temple of the Chen Family
Ancestral Temple of the Chen Family is located at Liwan Bei Road, Guangzhou. The temple was built with donations of members of the Chen family who lived in the 72 counties of the Guangdong province between 1890 and 1894 during the reign of Emperor Guangxu of the Qing Dynasty. It is the largest, best preserved, and best decorated ancient architecture existing in Guangdong province.
Ancestral Temple of the Chen Family, covering an area of 15,000 square meters, has a rectangular structure as its main building and comprises six courtyards, nine main halls, and nineteen buildings. With an architectural design of traditional Guangdong style, the temple is especially renowned for its beautiful decorations, which combines wood carving, brick carving, stone carving, clay sculpture, ash sculpture, brass and iron foundry, grotto, new year ainting and other art forms.
Ancestral Temple of the Chen Family is now the site of the Guangdong Folk Art Museum. It was designated as an important cultural relic under the State protection by the state Council in 1986. The special historical, art and scientific values have made it an important attraction in Guangzhou.