Black Dragon Pond
Black Dragon Pond is a famous pond in the scenic Jade Spring Park (Yu Quan Gong Yuan) located at the foot of Elephant Hill, a short walk north of the Old Town of Lijiang in Yunnan province, China. It was built in 1737 during the Qing Dynasty and offers a spectacular view of the region's tallest mountain, Jade Dragon Snow Mountain, over its white marble bridge.
In the past, the pool itself has sometimes been dry, spoiling the famous view. In 2010, however, the park was declared a water conservation area by the local government. As of 2014, the pool now stands full of water, its former beauty now restored.
The park features several smaller temples and pavilions:
The Moon-Embracing Pavilion, originally built in the late Ming Dynasty. The current structure is a reproduction from 1963 after a fire in 1950.
The Dragon God Temple (Longshen Temple) was constructed by local Naxi people in 1737 and is located to the east of the park. It was given the name Dragon God of Jade Spring by Emperor Qianlong of the Qing Dynasty in the same year.
The threefold overlap Five-Phoenix Tower (Wufeng Tower) was built during the Ming Dynasty (1601), and today is located at the north end of the park. The tower was originally situated at the Fuguo Temple, which is 30 kilometers to the west, but was moved to Jade Spring Park in 1979.