Bright Filial Piety Temple
Bright Filial Piety Temple was originally the residence of Prince Zhao Jiande of the Nanyue Kingdom during the Western Han dynasty (206 B.C.-A.D.24) and became a temple in AD 401. It was used as a Zen Buddhist Temple during the Southern Song Dynasty (1127 - 1279). The many noted monks and sutra-translators who have resided there have contributed greatly to the spread of Buddhist culture.
The present temple, occupying an area of 31000 square meters, was rebuilt in the Qing dynasty (1644 - 1911). The mail buildings in this temple include Mahavira Hall, Sixth Ancestor Hall, Samgharama Hall, Heavenly King Hall, the East and West Iron Towers, and the Mahakaruna Dharani Sutra Pillar. The Mahavira Hall, built in 401 during the Eastern Jin Dynasty (317 - 420), is considered the most magnificent in South China. The Sixth Ancestor Hall was established during the Northern Song Dynasty (960 - 1127) in memory of Huineng, the sixth master of the Zen Sect of Buddhism, who was also the most influential monk in the history of Chinese Buddhism. The East and West Iron Towers are the oldest iron towers in China.
Bright Filial Piety Temple also has other beautiful buildings and relics. In 1961, the Temple was designated by the State Council as a Key National Cultural Preservation Site.