Jiaxiu Pavilion sits on a huge rock in the Nanming River in the southern part of Guiyang, which is first built in the 26th year in the reign of Wanli in the Ming Dynasty (1598).
It is a magnificent three-storied building 20-meter-high with three eaves and a pointed top, containing carved windows and red lattices and upturned eaves on all sides. Downstairs is the Floating Jade Bridge which spans both north and south banks. Under the bridge, the clear blue swirling water forms a pool named Hanbi. When night falls with all the lights on, the outline of the pavilion and the bridge are reflected in the river as if it were a fairy land. And the pavilion's top floor offers a panoramic view of downtown Guiyang.
The pavilion was built by Jiang Dongzhi, was an imperial inspector. The pavilion served as a gathering spot for ancient scholars preparing for the imperial civil service examinations and has been refurbished into a teahouse with antique displays.
In this pavilion, tourists can have a look at the rich collection of stone engravings, calligraphy works, paintings and woodworks by ancient artists. Among them, there is a long antithetical couplet with 206 characters written by Liu Yushan, a member of the Imperial Academy from Guiyang, in the Qing Dynasty, which has 26 more characters than that one in Daguan Pavilion in Kunming, which claims to be the longest one in the world.