Tengwangge Pavilion is located on the shore of the Kan, in Nanchang City, Jiangxi Province. Together with Yellow Crane Tower, Yueyang Pavilion (Yueyang Lou), this fine building is one of the three most notable pavilions on south side of the Yangtze River.
Li Yuanying, a brother of Taizong who assumed the name Tengwang upon being knighted, commissioned the original three storied, thirty meters high building in the year 654 during the Tang Dynasty. The pavilion was named after him but famous for 'Essay on Tengwang Pavilion' wrote by Wang Bo, a gifted and well known poet of the Tang Dynasty. The current building is the result of rebuilding that was carried out between 1983 and 1989.
The existing pavilion is even more spectacular and magnificent than its predecessors. Reached by a Nine-zigzag bridge and surrounded by rock gardens and lakes, it is built in the architectural style of the Song Dynasty (960-1279). The Pavilion has the reputation of being the 'First Pavilion of Xijiang River' and has been widely admired by visitors from all over the world.