Tilanqiao Jewish Isolation Region
The history of the Tilanqiao Jewish Isolation Region dates back to Qing Dynasty where was used as the jail. During Emperor Jianqing's reign (1796AD-1820AD), there was a bridge and lots of stores nearby which sold bamboo baskets. Hence the name Tilanqiao, literally meaning Bridge of Baskets. After 1848, the area became a part of the American concession area. In 1930s and early 1940s, large number of Jewish refugees came to Shanghai and lived in the Tilanqiao area. They ran stores and entertainment facilities in the area with approximately 30,000 Jews eventually occupying the area. After the Second World War, the Jewish refugees gradually left Shanghai.