Yang family residence
Yang Family Residence was firstly built in late Qing dynasty and has a history of about 100 years. The total area of the residence is 980 square metres. The residence is divided into 2 sections, south section and north section. In the north section, it is 14 metres long and 25 metres wide and has 9 rooms. The south section are stores and shops, it is 45 metres wide and 14 metres long, occupying 630 square metres and having 10 living rooms and 4 working rooms.
The present Residence was rebuilt in the original layout of Master Yang Luchan's house. Master Yang Luchan was born in 1799 and died in 1872. He admired Chinese Kungfu from a very early age and later spent more than 18 years learning Taichi kungfu. Yang later became a teacher in his own right, and his subsequent expression of Taichi Chuan became known as the Yang-style, and directly led to the development of three other major styles of Taichi Chuan. Yang Luchan came to prominence as a result of his being hired by the Chinese Imperial family to teach Taichi to the elite Palace Battalion of the Imperial Guards in 1850, a position he held until his death.
The grandson of Yang Luchan, Yang Chengfu removed the vigorous fajin (release of power) from the Hand (solo) Form, as well as the energetic jumping, stamping, and other abrupt movements in order to emphasis the Dajia ( large frame style), but retained them in the Weapons (sword, saber, staff and spear) forms. The Hand Form has slow, steady, expansive and soft movements suitable for general practitioners. Thus, Yang Chengfu is largely responsible for standardizing and popularizing the Yang-style Taichi Chuan widely practised today.
Master Yang Luchan and his disciples have made great contributions to its development. Taichi Chuan is the most popular and widely practised style in the world today and the second in terms of seniority among the primary five family styles of Taichi Chuan.